Monday, February 13, 2006

Which got more hits?

UU web awards -- The definitive bound anthology or Tom Cruise, Fred Phelps and Me? Betting is closed.

My post suggesting that there was a bound anthology of all nominees received 65% more hits during the voting period than the post which was nominated, and about 20% more hits than TC,FP and Me received the whole time it was posted.

So here I am on my first day off in 2 weeks. Trying to catch up. This is a deep ponder for me. Is it all about the titles/headlines?

I'm pleased with the posts/blogs which won the blog awards, and I love the fact that there were close races for the top two or three in each category, it speaks to our diversity and quality in the same moment.

As to my sermon which was nominated, it was too long for a good blog post, and my speaking voice isn't the greatest writing voice, and it wasn't right for the blog awards. W
hy didn't it get many votes (thanks to you five), is not my question.

My question is 'why didn't it get read?'
I'm really pondering 'What gets people to click through to a post?'

Is it all about the title? Is it all about the "Hey I want that but I don't want that"?

That is was too long for a strong blog entry shouldn't have prevented people from clicking through to it, they wouldn't know, would they? That it was written in my speaking voice also would not have been known without clicking through (except, like this post, everything is written in my speaking voice, so that maybe could have been known.)

OR Do I just suck?

OR Am I completely wrong, and somehow some of your fancy computers fool my stat counter into not seeing you?

I'd love some real feedback on this one.

But mom, maybe not from you. I already know I'm the green apple of your glass eye. :-)

3 comments:

Chalicechick said...

At the time, I thought I'd read it before. Now, I'm not so sure.

CC

Jess said...

Some of us read posts through services like Bloglines, which may not show a hit unless we click to your site. But, since the full text comes through in the RSS reader, many may not.

Then there are those hits from UUpdates, which rely on the headline and first couple of lines from a post. Something like "Hey, something I wrote might get into print!" might excite people than the first few lines of your sermon.

IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because people are too scared of the Scientologists to click through to anything that references them.

Or perhaps because Tom Cruise and Fred Phellps are nuts. So as to you, putting yourself in the same title with them could only be an indication that you're nuts also. Why would anyone click through to a known nutcase?

Or perhaps you believe that you're writing in English, but really you're channeling a 10,000 year old entity from beyond, and writing about it in ancient Hittite and everyone has give up trying to understand it.

Either way, I read this blog, so perhaps I'm nuts or Hittitian also.

love, not your mom